Click on "Apply Now" and register your details with us by filling the Online Application Form.
Enter details to get brochure
Overview of Bachelor of Optometry
Optometry is an independent profession in eye care. Its practice includes a complete examination of the visual system required for the estimation of refractive errors. It also covers fitting, manufacturing and supplying of spectacles, contact lenses and all other optical aids.
“Optometry is a health care profession that is autonomous, educated and regulated (licensed/ registered), and optometrists are the primary health care practitioners of the eye and visual system who provide comprehensive eye and vision care, which includes refraction and dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of disease in the eye, and the rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system. - World Council of Optometry
An optometrist is a primary health care professional who is institutionally educated and clinically trained in the art and science of Optometry. An optometrist is required to examine the eyes and the visual system, diagnose the visual problem, prescribe and provide remedial, corrective treatment.
If any pathological condition is detected during the examination, the optometrist refers the patient to an ophthalmologist (ophthalmic surgeon) for medical therapy and/or surgical correction. Optometric practice does not only include the determination of the refractive status of the eyes, prescribing and dispensing of glasses, but it has a wider scope than that. With the advancement of technology, and newer products being introduced in quick succession, an optometrist is also required to upgrade his knowledge continuously. For an optometrist to be a thorough professional, his optometric education through a proper channels is very important.
Aim and Objectives:
- To provide practical and comprehensive knowledge of examining, diagnosing, treating and managing the diseases, injuries and disorders of visual systems
- To give enough exposure to fit, evaluate, prescribe and dispense spectacles and contact lens
- To give exposure in the area of patient care
- To provide opportunities to gain a higher level of independence in vision care
- To make aware of the functioning of eye banks
- To associate with Ophthalmologists and other health care professionals
- To initiate the students into the realm of research in visual science
- Practice independently or have a joint practice along with an Ophthalmologist
- Become an educator or head of an educational institute
- Contribute to an eye care institution
- Be a member of professional services in corporate organization
- Become a researcher in basic science and clinical research
- Internal Auditor
- Join the central or state government hospitals and health centers
- Desai Eye Institute & Research Centre
- Swayam Eye Hospital & Retina Centre
- Shree Narayan Eye Hospital
- Investment Banking
How to Apply
Online application form Fee Rs. 1000/- [Rs. One Thousand Only] pay online.
Print application form for future reference.
Students should clear standard XII Science examination (PCM/PCB).
Duration of the course:
4 years comprising of 3 academic years of study (6 semesters) and 1 year of clinical experience / internship.